SPSSI Central Office will shortly be undertaking some policy work around the topic of diversity conscious college admissions in the United States. Next week, prompted by the US Supreme Court's hearing, on the case of Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin, I will be sending out a summary of the findings of social psychological research to our media and policy contacts.
The following areas are of particular interest:
- The impact of admissions policies on diversity and student achievement in higher education institutions.
- Implicit and explicit biases of selection committees in higher education institutions.
- The influence of diversity in the student body on academic achievement and well-being.
- The relative effects of socio-economic and race conscious admissions policies.
- The impact of social identity on student self-perception, self-esteem, and academic achievement.
- The perspectives of demographic minorities on diversity conscious admissions policies.
If you have expertise in any of these areas, have published papers or excerpts that you wish to send, or recommend particular academics who I should reach out to for further information, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-675-6956.
SPSSI Policy Coordinator