SPSSI Teaching Award
“SPSSI Speaker at the National Institute for Teaching of Psychology”
Since 2013, the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI; APA Division 9) has partnered with Wiley Blackwell publishers and the National Institute for the Teaching of Psychology (NITOP) to host an annual SPSSI Speaker at the NITOP conference. SPSSI will select our speaker for the 2018 NITOP Conference January 3-6, at the Tradewinds Island Grand Resort in St. Pete Beach, once again though a teaching award process.
WHY SPSSI SPONSORS THIS AWARD:
• to partner with Wiley Blackwell and NITOP to advance best practices in teaching psychology
• to support and promote discussion of social issues in teaching and learning among NITOP participants
• to provide NITOP attendees with access to social issues teaching resources (i.e., pedagogical advancements, innovative classroom activities, student assignments/projects, SPSSI teaching resources)
• to introduce teachers of psychology to SPSSI as a professional organization that values teaching excellence for the advancement of student learning
As the award recipient, the selected speaker will travel to NITOP in 2018 January 3-6, at the Tradewinds Island Grand Resort in St. Pete Beach, Florida. We will fund the awardee with up to $1500 in travel reimbursement including waived conference registration, and we will cover NITOP audio/video charges associated with presenting.
SPEAKER EXPECTATIONS AT NITOP:
• attend NITOP and present both Annual SPSSI Speaker sessions (50 minutes each; repeats same presentation) within the program
• actively market SPSSI as an organization that values social issues teaching and learning
• present SPSSI teaching resources as part of both speaker sessions (i.e., SPSSI Timeline, using journals for teaching, SPSSI website teaching resources). Slides available from SPSSI to incorporate into presentation.
• invite session attendees to SPSSI membership and provide membership flyers (provided by SPSSI) in both speaker sessions
• invite session attendees to apply for SPSSI's Innovative Teaching Award and the Outstanding Teaching and Mentoring Award and provide flyers (provided by SPSSI) at both speaker sessions
Click here to view previous NITOP Speaker Award Winners!
Send all nomination materials together in one email: SPSSI Awards Program
Applicants must be current SPSSI members at the time of application.
If selected, the awardee agrees to attend and speak at the 2018 NITOP meeting.
Submission deadline: February 1, 2017
Send your proposal (addressing items 1-5 below) and curriculum vitae to email@example.com with the subject, "2018 NITOP Application."
1) Full and final title and abstract describing your proposed presentation. The abstract may be up to 400 words. In order to maximize session attendance, please construct titles and abstracts for consumption and clear understanding by the broader NITOP audience of psychology faculty. NITOP attendees (ranging from high school to graduate faculty) are interested in pedagogical connections to clear learning goals and especially practical teaching strategies, but may not be familiar with all SPSSI-focused language and concepts.
2) A brief description of how you will carry out the SPSSI goals for this award as described above if you are selected as the NITOP speaker.
3) Evidence of teaching approach and effectiveness. This may include evidence such as your teaching philosophy, student evaluations, and up to 3 letters of recommendation from colleagues that can speak to your teaching expertise.
4) OPTIONAL- SPSSI strongly encourages members of under-represented groups to apply. If you would like to indicate this information on your application, please do so. However, this is not required.
5) Your contact information: full name, institutional affiliation, position title, address, email, phone.
SPSSI Central Office | 208 I Street NE Washington, DC 20002 | (202) 675-6956 | 877-310-7778 (toll free)