Contributed by Susan Goldstein, University of Redlands
Institutional Discrimination Exercise
As a group, discuss each of the following situations and determine:
1. Children of alumni receive preference for admission into some private colleges.
2. Persons accused of a crime who cannot post bail are imprisoned and thus appear in court dressed in prison uniform, often in handcuffs.
3. An employment agency advertises for an "All-American type" to fill a public relations position.
4. Employees of a particular university are allowed free tuition, as are their spouses.
5. A corporation decides to fill an opening "in-house" rather than advertise.
6. A teacher requires an oral presentation as part of the final grade.
7. A public hearing is held on the third floor of building without elevators.
8. A Caucasian actor is chosen to play the part of an Asian man.
9. The YWCA/YMCA offers a reduced family membership rate.
10. A fire department requires that applicants for the position of firefighter be 5'8" or taller.
A game manual, sample game cards, originals for transparencies used during the game, and facilitator information sheets are available for $4 (which includes materials, shipping and handling).
To order Cultural Pursuit, send a check (payable to Skidmore College) and a self-addressed 9x12 envelope to: Patricia Rollins Trosclair, Assistant to the Dean of Students: Multicultural Students, Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866. Email: email@example.com.
SPSSI Central Office | 208 I Street NE Washington, DC 20002 | (202) 675-6956 | 877-310-7778 (toll free)