SPSSI's 2023 Virtual Advocacy Day:
Protecting the Lives and Rights of Transgender and Gender Diverse Youth
Join SPSSI on Friday, June 2, 2023 for SPSSI's 2023 Virtual Advocacy Day! (Note: SPSSI's Virtual Advocacy Day was originally scheduled for Friday, May 5 and then rescheduled for Friday, June 2 to better accommodate members' academic year schedules.) This year, Advocacy Day will bring together SPSSI members from across the United States to advocate on the issue of Protecting the Lives and Rights of Transgender and Gender Diverse Youth.
How Does Advocacy Day Work?
You will be teamed up with another advocate from your state or another state to participate in a day of virtual meetings with House and Senate offices. Through these meetings, you will share with your elected officials why it is so important to protect the lives and rights of transgender and gender diverse youth. You will be given all of the resources and training you need to have successful meetings and do not need to be an expert in this research/issue area in order to participate.
This fun, informative event is a must for anyone who's passionate about advocating for the rights and wellbeing of transgender and gender diverse youth. This event will also be a great learning experience for anyone who's looking to gain firsthand experience in how to communicate effectively with policymakers.
This opportunity is only available to dues-current SPSSI members as space is limited. Also, since this is an event through which constituents meet with their elected officials, only people who live in the U.S. (including non-U.S. citizens) and U.S. citizens can participate.
Training Session (required; this event will be recorded for advocates who cannot attend the event live)
- DATE: Tuesday, May 30, 2023
- TIME: 4 - 5 pm ET (1 - 2 pm PT)
- LOCATION: Zoom
- DESCRIPTION: Advocates will receive an orientation to the Advocacy Day issue from policy and research experts and then receive training on how to conduct Capitol Hill meetings.
Advocacy Day Meetings
- DATE: Friday, June 2, 2023
- TIME: 10 am - 5 pm ET (7 am - 3 pm PT)
- LOCATION: Zoom
- DESCRIPTION: Advocate teams will receive their most recently updated schedules (they will receive their preliminary schedules earlier in the week). They will then move into Zoom breakout rooms to meet with their teammates and practice their messaging and "asks." Teams will then meet virtually with House and Senate offices throughout the day. Each meeting is typically 15-20 minutes long, and at most 30 minutes long. Because meetings can sometimes be rescheduled at the last minute, advocates will need to leave the entire day open for Advocacy Day. Continuous communications will be managed through a mobile app and Advocacy Day help desk.
The regular registration fee is $75. Students can register for $35. Registration fees are NONREFUNDABLE and payment will be accepted by credit card only.
[The registration button has been removed since this event has passed.]