SPSSI Conferences SPSSI's 2021 Virtual Conference: August 2-5, 2021.
Changing the System: Social Research and Action to Reshape the World We Live in
Missed the SPSSI 2021 Virtual Conference?
Register Now and Access the Content through December 31, 2021
This year has thrown a harsh spotlight on the systemic factors that shape our ostensibly individual behaviors and outcomes. Choices around work, leisure, childcare, travel, and relationships have been forcibly adapted to new pressures or revealed new aspects of themselves against a starkly different background. Social psychology and its related disciplines are well versed in the systems that affect us all, whether based on ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, or a number of other factors. Perhaps the silver lining of exposing the fragility of our current systems is the reminder of their malleability and of our power to reshape them. This year’s SPSSI Conference invited contributions that focus on changes to these systems, methods of implementing them, and the possible consequences of these changes. Across a variety of approaches—traditionally empirical, policy-based, critical, etc.—we welcomed contributions that boldly reframe not only the solutions to contemporary social issues, but even our understanding of what those issues may be.
Registering for the Conference: To register for the conference, please click here.
Entering the Conference Platform: To enter the conference platform, please click here. All registrants should check the email account which they used to register for login credentials which have already been sent. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
(Left to right: Dr. Keon West, Dr. Linda Silka, Jeryl D. Hayes, JD, LL.M., Lisa Brunner)
- Presidential Address with Dr. Keon West: Asking the Right Questions
- Special Interactive Session with Incoming President Dr. Linda Silka entitled, SPSSI: Using Our Past and Looking to Our Future
- Invited Keynote with Jeryl Hayes, JD, L.L.M.: At the Intersection of Justice: Using Reproductive Justice as a Model for Social Change
- New! Invited Keynote with Lisa Brunner: Be A Good Ancestor
- Live session hosted by Teaching & Mentoring Committee Co-Chairs Danielle Dickens and Sahana Mukherjee: Research from SPSSI Teaching Award Honorees
- Daily networking and social events sponsored by SPSSI Committees: Thank you to our Graduate Student Committee, Early Career Scholars' Committee, Internationalization and Diversity committees for hosting these events! We hope to see you there.
- Now Available!: Download the Conference Meeting Guide to view tips for navigating the platform, agenda at a glance, session information, and more! Want a quick and handy printable agenda? Download our agenda at a glance!
On 8.5. SPSSI celebrated 85! on the final day of our conference there was a special screening of the very first public release of our short film "Celebrating 85 Years of SPSSI." The session took place August 5th 4:00-4:30pm EDT. The screening was followed by a live Q&A with our featured scholars and Past Presidents, Dr. James Jones and Dr. Michele Wittig. Click here to learn more about the film.
This year's virtual conference featured:
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2021 Conference Rates Information Page
We understand this is a challenging time for so many. Hardship requests and waivers will certainly be considered on a case-by-case basis.
2021 Conference Program Chairs:
We hope to see you in Puerto Rico in 2022! Save the date!
Past SPSSI Conferences:
- 2020: "Making the Invisible Visible: Transformative Research and Social Action"
- 2019: "Fighting injustice: The power of research, policy, and activism in challenging times"
- 2018: "Bridges to Justice: Building Coalitions and Collaborations Within and Beyond Psychology"
- 2017: “Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz” (Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace)
- 2016: Giving psychology away: Sharing research through teaching, interdisciplinary collaboration, and public engagement
- 2015: A Road Less Traveled: Forging Links Between Psychological Science and Social Policy
- 2014: Social Action and Change: Opportunities, Resistance, Inertia, and Mobilization
- 2012: Changing Societies: Learning From & For Research, Social Action & Policy
- 2010: From Individuals to Nation States: What Motivates, Sustains...
- 2008: Disparities Across the Globe: Place, Race, Class, Ethnicity & Gender
- 2006: Social Justice: Research, Action, and Policy
- 2004: From Desegregation to Diversity
- 2002: Understanding and Addressing Disparities: International Approaches
- 2000: Social issues for the 21st Century: Setting the Agenda
SPSSI presents special programming each year at the APA Convention as well. Find more information here.
We are also proud to join with the European Association for Social Psychology (EASP) and with the Society of Australian Social Psychologists (SASP) to co-sponsor small joint meetings on selected topics.