Transforming Our World:
Using Research and Action to Address (In)Visible Wounds
Our society has faced many visible and invisible wounds over the past few years since SPSSI was supposed to meet in Denver for its 2020 Annual Conference. Since the start of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we have encountered economic uncertainty, the storming of the U.S. Capitol, damage caused by climate change, Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, continued racial injustices and state-sanctioned violence, as well as the U.S. Supreme Court’s reversal of Roe v. Wade, along with not-so-veiled threats to others’ rights. These local and global challenges have left obvious visible marks on our bodies, our communities, and even the physical landscape. Meanwhile many experience invisible wounds in isolation, silence, and sometimes while entirely unaware of the damage. Furthermore, those processes behind, and people enacting, such damage remain under-scrutinized, unchecked, and free to continue causing harm. Our society needs transformative research and social action to help us better understand and address these wounds, while holding people accountable for, and preventing future, harm. At SPSSI’s 2023 annual meeting, once again scheduled in Denver, CO, we invite contributions from a range of perspectives–empirical, policy-oriented, and critical—that use a variety of methods to transform our world through knowledge and social action.
Note: The Calls for Conference Submissions and Conference Reviewers have closed.
In an ongoing effort to meet the economic needs of our many constituencies, SPSSI is pleased to announce a special category of rates for the 2023 Summer Conference. SPSSI Global/Regional rates apply to conference attendees traveling to join us from the Caribbean, Latin America, Asia, Africa, and Oceania. As a reminder, and across all rates, further reductions or hardship requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The SPSSI Conference will be held at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver Downtown Convention Center. We have negotiated a discounted rate of $199 for attendees. The student rate block of discounted rooms has now closed. All rooms are two-room suites and have a private bedroom. The separate living room features a queen-sized bed, tv, microwave and refrigerator. Other amenities include free made-to-order breakfast, complimentary evening reception, laptop-sized safe, Wi-Fi and complimentary newspaper delivered to your door every weekday. Please note that these rooms are subject to availability and will fill up quickly.
Learn more about our programs today, open to various students, early career scholars, and international scholars. SPSSI travel funds may be used to cover all conference-related expenses including conference registration, economy transportation, lodging, and approved meal expenses. All travel grants are awarded following the conference only in the form of post-expense reimbursement upon submission of all receipts, and expense form completion. Exclusions: Applicants are able to submit to more than one program. However, no more than one type of travel grant will be given to an individual.The application deadline for all travel funding grants is April 16, 2023.
Important Updates: 2023 Summer Conference
Health and Safety Considerations
Please note these guidelines are subject to change. Check www.spssi.org/conferences and the below resources frequently for updates.
SPSSI is committed to creating a safe space for in-person events with our top priority being the safety and well-being of attendees, speakers, and staff. The following protocols will be followed at this summer's event as it pertains to COVID-19 safety practices.
- Attendees are highly encouraged to register online in advance of the meeting. While we plan to offer a self-registration option onsite accepting credit card payment only, this process may significantly delay entry for you and others. Register in advance to ensure your timely entry and safety for all involved in this process. Increased onsite registration costs will also apply.
- SPSSI will require attendees to wear masks at all times in meeting and gathering spaces, except when actively eating, drinking, or presenting at a safe distance. You will be provided with a mask if needed.
- By registering for the 2023 SPSSI Summer Conference, attendees acknowledge that they understand the highly contagious nature of COVID-19, and that current medical knowledge of the virus, including its transmissibility and risk remains uncertain, particularly in light of evolving variants of the virus. Currently, there exists no cure for the virus, and certain medical conditions may be at high risk for the disease. Attendees also understand that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as many other public health authorities, continue to recommend practicing social distancing, frequent hand washing, and the wearing of masks under certain circumstances, even for persons who may have been vaccinated for the virus. By registering for this in-person event, attendees further acknowledge that SPSSI cannot guarantee you will not become infected with the virus while attending the annual meeting.
- If attendees experience COVID-19 symptoms, we ask that you return to your hotel room, make appropriate plans to isolate and quarantine, and refrain from participation in SPSSI meeting activities.
- By registering for the summer event and agreeing to the included registration waiver, attendees agree not to hold SPSSI responsible if they contract COVID-19.
- We thank you for respecting others in this ever-changing environment, and for your cooperation in these guidelines to ensure safety for all.
Attention SPSSI Conference Attendees! We are pleased to share that the 9th Annual Weight Stigma Conference (#WSC9) will be held as a hybrid (in-person and online) event in Denver, CO to follow #SPSSICON23 this year at the same hotel venue! Consider participating. Abstract submissions for oral presentations, workshops etc. extended for SPSSI members to Friday March 24th. Poster submissions will be open until June. To learn more about the event and to submit today, visit: https://weightstigmaconference.com/
2023 Conference Program Chairs:
Past SPSSI Conferences:
- 2022: Reenergizing Ourselves and Our Communities: Connections Across Borders and Barriers (Revitalizándonos y Nuestras Comunidades: Conexiones a través de Fronteras y Barreras)
- 2021: Changing the System: Social Research and Action to Reshape the World We Live In
- 2020: "Making the Invisible Visible: Transformative Research and Social Action"
- 2019: "Fighting injustice: The power of research, policy, and activism in challenging times"
- 2018: "Bridges to Justice: Building Coalitions and Collaborations Within and Beyond Psychology"
- 2017: “Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz” (Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace)
- 2016: Giving psychology away: Sharing research through teaching, interdisciplinary collaboration, and public engagement
- 2015: A Road Less Traveled: Forging Links Between Psychological Science and Social Policy
- 2014: Social Action and Change: Opportunities, Resistance, Inertia, and Mobilization
- 2012: Changing Societies: Learning From & For Research, Social Action & Policy
- 2010: From Individuals to Nation States: What Motivates, Sustains...
- 2008: Disparities Across the Globe: Place, Race, Class, Ethnicity & Gender
- 2006: Social Justice: Research, Action, and Policy
- 2004: From Desegregation to Diversity
- 2002: Understanding and Addressing Disparities: International Approaches
- 2000: Social issues for the 21st Century: Setting the Agenda
SPSSI presents special programming each year at the APA Convention as well. Find more information here.
We are also proud to join with the European Association for Social Psychology (EASP) and with the Society of Australian Social Psychologists (SASP) to co-sponsor small joint meetings on selected topics.