1. On Feb 4, 8 students visited a law-psychology tour of Bronx Supreme Court, with Officer Tina Perez.
2.On Feb 8 at Fordham, 45 people heard a forum on “Healthy cities in the 21st Century, featuring Harold Takooshian, PhD (Fordham), Peter R. Walker, PhD (urban planner), Arline L. Bronzaft, PhD (GrowNY), Rick Sanford (Qualivida), Bruce Berg, PhD (Fordham), Bryan C. Ardouny, JD (Armenian Assembly), Rev. Moses Williams (New Brunswick NJ).
3. On Feb 11, 50 students heard a forum on “New Directions in Forensic Psychology, featuring Harold Takooshian, PhD (chair), Robert Emmons, JD (Fordham & Nassau County Courts). Thomas A. Caffrey, PhD (past-President, NYSPA Forensic Division), Eric Neblung, PhD (President, NYSPA Forensic Division), Gabrielle Stutman, PhD, Founder, NYSPA Forensic Division), Rafael Art Javier, PhD, Saint John’s University), Nicholas Tolchin, PhD (Central New York Psychiatric Center), Chriscelyn Tussey, PsyD (Director of Assessment, Bellevue Hospital Center), Lauren E. Kois (NYU & AP-LS).
4. On Feb 13, 170 NYC students and professionals visited Touro College for a free screening of the Hollywood film “Defiance,” where Rivka Meir and Zvi Bielski discussed why and how the Bielsky brothers in Poland successfully defied Nazi terror.
5.On March 22 at MarymountManhattan, 30 people heard a lecture on “Russian social psychology today with Alex Voronov, PhD (Moscow), Henry Solomon, PhD (Marymount), Daniela Grafman (Fordham).
6. On April 10 at CUNY, SPSSI-NY hosted several 75th anniversary activities with the 300 participants at the 39th Hunter Psychology Conference, including three panels and a “SPSSI@75” birthday cake to cap the day-long activities.
7. On May 14 at Pace, over 150 participated in the 19th Pace Undergraduate Psychology Conference.
Thanks to this year’s SPSSI Grant-in-Aid, SPSSI-NY was able to produce a new 40-minute DVD on “Writing your department history: Why and How” to circulate among some of the 92 local departments interested to prepare their own department history. This benefitted from a team of local historians, as well as historians Ludy T. Benjamin (Texas) and David Baker (Ohio).
Looking ahead to fall of 2011, SPSSI-NY plans more historical and other activities, in concert with other local groups. These include the 23rd NY SPSSI conference in November, and the launch of a few panels on “History of Psychology in New York City” starting at St. Francis College on September 22.
The SPSSI-NY Planning Committee for spring of 2011: Sarah J. Benoit (Fordham), Florence L. Denmark (Pace), Dominick Fortugno (Touro), Daniela Grafman (Fordham), Edwin P. Hollander (CUNY), Lauren E. Kois (NYU), Mark E. Mattson (Fordham), Mercedes A. McCormick (Pace), Rivka B. Meir (CUNY), Viany Orozco (Demos.org), Louis Primavera (Touro), Matthew Schottenfeld (Fordham), Henry Solomon (Marymount), Michael Vigorito (Seton Hall), Alexander Y. Voronov (Moscow), Peter R. Walker (CT), Jason R. Young (Hunter).Direct any questions or comments to SPSSI-NY Chairperson Harold Takooshian, email@example.com.
<< Table of Contents >>