1. On September 11 at John Jay College, 60 students and faculty joined in a lively forum on “Managing collapse: the 10th anniversary of 9-11,” with 7 panelists: Sharon Brennan (President, Manhattan PA), Tom Hennes & Billie Pivnick (National 9/11 Museum), K. Mark Sossin (Pace), Jeffrey A. Jay (Washington DC), Maria R. Volpe (CUNY), June Feder (Past chair, NYC Disaster Resource Network).
2. On September 22 at St. Francis College, 40 students and colleagues heard a panel on "History of psychology in New York, featuring three presenters: Uwe P. Gielen, Henry Solomon on "CUNY Graduate School," Harold Takooshian on "Social issues--SPSSI in New York City," and Dinesh Sharma on "Obama in New York City."
3. On September 27 at Fordham, 40 students attended a forum on “Reforming IRBs?” with Philip Hamburger (Columbia Law School), Richard M. O’Brien, (Hofstra), Henry Solomon (Marymount Manhattan), Kurt Salzinger (APA Science Directorate, ret.), Harold Takooshian (Fordham).
4. On October 14 at Fordham, despite a downpour, 40 people attended a lecture and book-signing by author Dinesh Sharma on his new book, Barack Obama in Hawai’i and Indonesia. Moderator: Uwe P. Gielen, PhD (St. Francis). Discussant: Joshua L. Brown, PhD (Fordham).
5. On October 20 at Manhattan College, over 100 students heard Robin L. Cautin interview Olivia J. Hooker, age 97, Professor Emerita at Fordham University.
6. On October 28 at St. Francis College, Uwe P. Gielen hosted 50 people at a lecture by author Dinesh Sharma on his new book "The making of Barack Obama," with a Skype session with the President's sister Maya Soetoro-Ng, PhD in Africa.
7. On October 31 at Fordham, 30 students joined the annual symposium on “Graduate School Admissions in Psychology,” featuring several experts: Mark E. Mattson, David S. Malcolm, Harold Takooshian, Karen Siedlecki, David S. Glenwick, John J. Cecero, SJ.
8. On November 20, 140 people convened at Touro’s Lander College for Women in Manhattan for the annual SPSSI-NY conference—the 23rd Greater New York Conference on Behavioral Research—a full day of 41 research presentations in 12 panels, followed by student research awards and a reception with 6 guests of honor. Thanks to APS Director Alan Kraut, all student presenters, on request, received a free year of membership in the Association for Psychological Science (APS).
9. On November 22 at Fordham, 25 people attended a lecture by Deans Evgeny Osin and Vladimir Stroh (Russian State U Higher School of Economics), on "Social psychology in Russia today," with discussant Harold Takooshian (Fordham).
Looking ahead to spring 2012, SPSSI-NY plans more historical and other activities, in concert with other local groups. These include the 40th Hunter College Psychology Convention in April (www.HunterPsych.com), and 20th PaceUniversity Psychology Conference in May (www.pacepsycon.com).
The SPSSI-NY Planning Committee for fall of 2011: Sharon Brennan (MPA), Robin L. Cautin (Manhattanville), Dominick Fortugno (Touro), Uwe P. Gielen (St Francis), Mark E. Mattson (Fordham), Rivka B. Meir (CUNY), Viany Orozco (Demos.org), Louis Primavera (Touro), Nava Silton (Marymount Manhattan), Henry Solomon (Marymount Manhattan), Arthur P. Sullivan (Touro), Maria Volpe (John Jay), Jason Young (Hunter).Direct any questions or comments to SPSSI-NY Chairperson Harold Takooshian, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some scenes from SPSSI-NY in fall 2011 appear at www.spssi.org/ny
PHOTO CAPTION: Saluting research presenters at the November 20 conference.