Crosby-Spendlove Student Travel Awards
for the 2023 SPSSI Annual Conference
June 25 - 27, 2023
The Crosby-Spendlove Award of up to $1000 will be given to a graduate student to support travel and cover expenses for the SPSSI Summer Conference. Preference will be given to a student presenting research coming from a feminist and social justice perspective.
About Faye Crosby
Faye J. Crosby, whose generous gift to SPSSI made this award possible, is Professor of Psychology at the University of California, Santa Cruz. She is a social psychologist who specializes on issues of social justice including affirmative action, prejudice and stereotyping in society, and individual attitudes to social change. She is the author of the recent books Affirmative Action Is Dead: Long Live Affirmative Action and Sex Discrimination in the Workplace. Crosby earned her Ph.D at Boston University. She was also a professor at Rhode Island College, Smith College, The Kellogg School of Management, and Yale.
In 2009 Dr. Crosby was nominated for the UC Merced Spendlove Prize by SPSSI and was awarded the honor in the same year. Her enthusiasm for the award, and its aim to recognize individuals who exemplify exceptional work in the fields of social justice, diplomacy, and tolerance inspired her to found the SPSSI Crosby-Spendlove Award.
About the Spendloves
Sherrie Spendlove is the founder UC Merced’s Spendlove Prize in honor of her parents, Alice and Clifford Spendlove. Alice is a graduate of Woodbury College in Los Angeles, and worked for over thirty years for the Merced Union High School District. Clifford Spendlove is also a graduate from Woodbury College with a degree in business. He spent three years in the U.S. Navy during World War II and went on to work for 20 years for Merced County. Following retirement, he has continued to serve his community in numerous ways.
1. The applicant must be a dues-current student SPSSI member.
2. The applicant must be a graduate student currently enrolled in either a Master’s or Ph.D. program.
3. The applicant must be first or sole author on an accepted poster/symposium/roundtable. Preference is being given to a student presenting research coming from a feminist and social justice perspective.
4. In addition to filing the attached application form, please submit a copy of the submitted poster/symposium/roundtable abstract that was accepted by the SPSSI program committee. Applicants remain eligible to apply if notification of acceptance is pending.
5. The awardee must attend the biennial SPSSI conference to receive the award, and submit original receipts documenting expenses related to attendance in order to qualify for reimbursement up to $1000. Travel awards will cover all conference-related expenses up to a maximum of $1000, including transportation, lodging, food, and conference registration. Award payments will be made only in the form of post-conference reimbursement for documented expenses.
6. Applicants are eligible to apply to other travel funding offered by SPSSI. However, no single applicant of any program will receive more than one source of travel funding.
How to Apply:
To apply for the Conference Travel Funding Programs you must apply, in one step, for all SPSSI 2023 Conference Travel Funding Programs for which you are eligible with the following form:
2023 SPSSI Conference Travel Funding Form
- Only submit this form once to apply for all waivers for which you are eligible.
- You will be emailed a copy of your responses, which are also editable.
- The Google Chrome browser is highly recommended.
- If needed, use the back button within the survey at the bottom of the survey page toward the left and your work will be retained.
- Beware! Using the browser back button will start the form over and your work will be erased.
Deadline: April 16, 2023
SPSSI will notify all applicants of the award decisions via email as soon as possible following the deadline.
Once notified, travel funding recipients must accept or decline their award within 72 hours following notification.
Questions about conference travel funding programs? Contact SPSSI's Administrative Manager, Justin Belsley.
2012 Award Winner: Ayse Burcin Erarslan
2014 Award Winner: Kathryn Honeyman
2016 Award Winner: Kathryn Holland
2017 Award Winner: Madison Silverstein
2018 Award Winner: Tina V. Reifsteck
2019 Award Winner: Abigail Folberg
2021 Award Winner: Madeleine Pownall
2022 Award Winner: Nathaniel E.C. Schermerhorn
2023 Award Winner: Zharia Thomas