Crosby-Spendlove Student Conference Fee Waiver Program
Faye J. Crosby, whose generous gift to SPSSI made this award possible, is Professor of Psychology at the University of California, Santa Cruz. She is a social psychologist who specializes on issues of social justice including affirmative action, prejudice and stereotyping in society, and individual attitudes to social change. She is the author of the recent books Affirmative Action Is Dead: Long Live Affirmative Action and Sex Discrimination in the Workplace. Crosby earned her Ph.D at Boston University. She was also a professor at Rhode Island College, Smith College, The Kellogg School of Management, and Yale.
In 2009 Dr. Crosby was nominated for the UC Merced Spendlove Prize by SPSSI and was awarded the honor in the same year. Her enthusiasm for the award, and its aim to recognize individuals who exemplify exceptional work in the fields of social justice, diplomacy, and tolerance inspired her to found the SPSSI Crosby-Spendlove Award.
About the Spendloves
Sherrie Spendlove is the founder UC Merced’s Spendlove Prize in honor of her parents, Alice and Clifford Spendlove. Alice is a graduate of Woodbury College in Los Angeles, and worked for over thirty years for the Merced Union High School District. Clifford Spendlove is also a graduate from Woodbury College with a degree in business. He spent three years in the U.S. Navy during World War II and went on to work for 20 years for Merced County. Following retirement, he has continued to serve his community in numerous ways.
1. The applicant must be a dues-current student SPSSI member.
2. The applicant must be a graduate student currently enrolled in either a Master’s or Ph.D. program.
3. The applicant must be first or sole author on an accepted poster/symposium/roundtable. Preference is being given to a student presenting research coming from a feminist and social justice perspective.
4. Within the conference waiver form, please prepare to paste the text of the presentation abstract that was submitted or accepted by the SPSSI program committee without personal identifying information. Applicants remain eligible to apply if notification of acceptance is pending.
5. Applicants are eligible to apply to other conference waivers offered by SPSSI. However, no single applicant of any program will receive more than one waiver.
HOW TO APPLY:
Deadline: June 15, 2021
Questions about conference fee waiver programs? Contact SPSSI's Administrative Manager, Justin Belsley.
2012 Award Winner: Ayse Burcin Erarslan