SPSSI Teaching Award
“SPSSI Speaker at the National Institute for Teaching of Psychology”
Since 2013, the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI; APA Division 9) has partnered with Wiley Blackwell publishers and the National Institute for the Teaching of Psychology (NITOP) to host an annual SPSSI Speaker at the NITOP conference. SPSSI will select our speaker for the 2021 NITOP Conference January 3-6, at the Tradewinds Island Grand Resort in St. Pete Beach, once again though a teaching award process.
WHY SPSSI SPONSORS THIS AWARD:
SPEAKER EXPECTATIONS AT NITOP:
Applicants must be current SPSSI members at the time of application.
If selected, the awardee agrees to attend and speak at the 2021 NITOP meeting.
Submission deadline: January 15, 2020
Your application should include (1) a curriculum vitae and (2) formal proposal addressing items 1-5 below:
1) Full and final title and abstract describing your proposed presentation. The abstract may be up to 400 words. In order to maximize session attendance, please construct titles and abstracts for consumption and clear understanding by the broader NITOP audience of psychology faculty. NITOP attendees (ranging from high school to graduate faculty) are interested in pedagogical connections to clear learning goals and especially practical teaching strategies, but may not be familiar with all SPSSI-focused language and concepts.
2) A brief description of how you will carry out the SPSSI goals for this award as described above if you are selected as the NITOP speaker.
3) Evidence of teaching approach and effectiveness. This may include evidence such as your teaching philosophy, student evaluations, and up to 3 letters of recommendation from colleagues that can speak to your teaching expertise.
4) OPTIONAL- SPSSI strongly encourages members of under-represented groups to apply. If you would like to indicate this information on your application, please do so. However, this is not required.
5) Your contact information: full name, institutional affiliation, position title, address, email, phone.