SPSSI GSC Call for Nominations: 2022-2023 Term
Candidacy Materials Due:
Friday, August 12, 2022 Extended until September 6.
SPSSI Graduate Student Committee (GSC) will be holding elections for the 2022-2023 term. All positions are open, with the exception of the Chair position. The online election itself will take place starting from September 7th to 13th. SPSSI members are eligible to vote for candidates. Candidates may run for 2 open positions but must indicate their first and second preference in case they win both positions. They will appear on the ballot for both positions.
- Chair-Elect: Spends one year getting oriented to the committee and works closely with the Chair to implement committee initiatives. This prepares the Chair-Elect to assume the role of Chair during their second year on the committee. The Chair-Elect is also responsible for co-chairing the GSC Diversity Preconference and for conducting another small project of their choosing. They attend SPSSI Council meetings.
- Diversity Officer: Co-chairs the SPSSI Diversity Preconference. Takes the lead on identifying a pre-conference theme, assembling a budget proposal for the event, identifying speakers, and planning the pre-conference program. Works with the Chair-Elect to oversee the preconference from start to finish.
- Communications Officer: Actively solicits submissions for Social Issues from Student Perspectives, the GSC section of SPSSI’s newsletter The Forward. Conducts targeted outreach to student members of SPSSI based on themes and deadlines for upcoming issues. Exercises editorial oversight by reviewing all submissions and editing those accepted for Social Issues from Student Perspectives.
- Academic Officer: Recruits speakers with expertise in research or teaching methodologies and facilitates content for the GSC’s methodology webinar series. Currently manages a writing accountability group for graduate students.
- Policy & Applied Work Officer: Recruits speakers with expertise related to policy work and non-academic careers. Facilitates content for the GSC’s policy webinar series. Plans the international lunch held at the SPSSI conference.
- Membership Officer: Oversees the GSC’s mentor lunch at the SPSSI conference. Organizes, writes, and releases a quarterly newsletter that outlines current GSC initiatives and opportunities for grad student involvement. Plans SPSSI grad student meet-ups outside the annual SPSSI conference.
Eligibility & Rules
- Applicants must be a current SPSSI member and enrolled in a graduate program (M.A., Ph.D.).
- GSC members are expected to: (1) attend regular committee meetings, (2) fulfill responsibilities outlined in their officer role description, (3) implement a small project that contributes to the aims of their position, (4) assist with grad student travel award reviews, (5) host the GSC-cosponsored social event at the SPSSI conference, (6) regularly contribute to SPSSI GSC social media pages and projects.
- Officers who fail to fulfill their duties may be removed from their position. Vacated positions will be filled by appointment until the next election.
- For more information about GSC: https://www.spssi.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.ViewPage&pageId=1090
GSC Election Timeline
Candidacy materials deadline: By Friday, August 12th all candidates must submit their vision statement (500 words max) and optional video (3 minutes max) outlining their suitability for the role(s) and goals if elected. If you are running for more than one position, you must submit materials for each role. Please email GSC Chair Isabelle Clough email@example.com and Justin Belsley firstname.lastname@example.org and include the subject line "2022 GSC Election Materials Submission".
- Online election week: Wednesday, September 7th - Tuesday, September 13th
- Results: By Thursday, September 15th, results for each position will be announced to SPSSI membership via email.