SPSSI Conferences SPSSI's 2021 Virtual Conference: August 2-5, 2021.
Changing the System: Social Research and Action to Reshape the World We Live in
This year has thrown a harsh spotlight on the systemic factors that shape our ostensibly individual behaviors and outcomes. Choices around work, leisure, childcare, travel, and relationships have been forcibly adapted to new pressures or revealed new aspects of themselves against a starkly different background. Social psychology and its related disciplines are well versed in the systems that affect us all, whether based on ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, or a number of other factors. Perhaps the silver lining of exposing the fragility of our current systems is the reminder of their malleability and of our power to reshape them. This year’s SPSSI Conference invites contributions that focus on changes to these systems, methods of implementing them, and the possible consequences of these changes. Across a variety of approaches—traditionally empirical, policy-based, critical, etc.—we welcome contributions that boldly reframe not only the solutions to contemporary social issues, but even our understanding of what those issues may be. To register for the conference, please click here.
Here are some things to expect at this year’s Virtual Conference:
- Interactive Discussions: Join us each day for live, interactive, small group discussions.
- Keynote Sessions: These sessions will highlight the intersections between psychology and policy, spotlighting individuals’ specific contributions in these fields.
- On-Demand Sessions including 15-Minute, Poster, and Symposium Presentations: Each day, new sessions will be released! You will have the opportunity to interact with the presenters via private chat and video messaging.
- Networking Opportunities: One of the benefits of every SPSSI Conference is being able to network with attendees and presenters, and this year is no different! There are plenty of opportunities to connect by joining a networking room, engaging in an interactive discussion, or speaking via video or private chat.
- SPSSI’s 85th Anniversary Celebration! Did you know this year is SPSSI's 85th Anniversary? Partial conference programming will be dedicated to celebrating this milestone for the organization. Discover more about SPSSI's rich history and stay tuned for more information about this exciting occasion.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
New! 2021 Conference Fee Waiver Programs
SPSSI leaders have expanded conference waiver programs in honor of the organization's 85th Anniversary this year, in an effort to give members greater access to programming. We have nearly doubled the number of recipients that will be granted waivers to attend the 2021 conference free of charge! Please share the below opportunities widely, and encourage those interested in financial relief to apply today. Exclusions: Applicants are able to submit to more than one program. However, no more than one type of waiver will be awarded to an individual.
2021 Conference Rates Information Page
Stay tuned for continued updates! We understand this is a challenging time for so many. Hardship requests and waivers will certainly be considered on a case-by-case basis.
2021 Conference Program Chairs:
Past SPSSI Conferences:
- 2020: "Making the Invisible Visible: Transformative Research and Social Action"
- 2019: "Fighting injustice: The power of research, policy, and activism in challenging times"
- 2018: "Bridges to Justice: Building Coalitions and Collaborations Within and Beyond Psychology"
- 2017: “Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz” (Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace)
- 2016: Giving psychology away: Sharing research through teaching, interdisciplinary collaboration, and public engagement
- 2015: A Road Less Traveled: Forging Links Between Psychological Science and Social Policy
- 2014: Social Action and Change: Opportunities, Resistance, Inertia, and Mobilization
- 2012: Changing Societies: Learning From & For Research, Social Action & Policy
- 2010: From Individuals to Nation States: What Motivates, Sustains...
- 2008: Disparities Across the Globe: Place, Race, Class, Ethnicity & Gender
- 2006: Social Justice: Research, Action, and Policy
- 2004: From Desegregation to Diversity
- 2002: Understanding and Addressing Disparities: International Approaches
- 2000: Social issues for the 21st Century: Setting the Agenda
SPSSI presents special programming each year at the APA Convention as well. Find more information here.
We are also proud to join with the European Association for Social Psychology (EASP) and with the Society of Australian Social Psychologists (SASP) to co-sponsor small joint meetings on selected topics.