The 2019 SPSSI Graduate Student Diversity Travel Award Program
The Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI) is pleased to announce our Graduate Student Diversity Travel Award Competition. Up to 20 expense reimbursements, in the amount of $500.00, will be awarded to underrepresented graduate students for travel to the SPSSI conference in San Diego, CA June 21 - 23, 2019.
1. Applicants must be enrolled in a related Master’s or Ph.D. program.
2. Applicant must be a member of an underrepresented group (these groups are defined as ethnic and racial minorities; first-generation college students; lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered students; and students with a physical disability). Given that SPSSI is an international organization, applications from international students from underrepresented groups will be considered; applicants should explain how their participation at the conference would be consistent with the goals of their program.
3. Applicants must be a dues paying SPSSI member. If an individual is not already a member, he or she may join or renew when submitting their application.
4. Applicants must attend the 2019 SPSSI conference to receive the award. It is not required that applicants present research at the convention.
Travel awards will cover all conference-related expenses up to a maximum of $500, including transportation, lodging, food, and conference registration. Award payments will be made only in the form of post-expense reimbursement upon submission to central office of all receipts, and tax and expense form completion.
Application Procedure and Deadline:
1. A completed application. Click here to access the form.
2. An academic vita or résumé.
3. A one-page statement describing your commitment to diversity issues, research interests, career goals, and rationale for applying (e.g., how you would benefit from the award).
Email completed materials in A SINGLE Word Document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Diversity Travel Award.”
Decision Notification: An appointed committee will conduct the selection process and SPSSI will notify winning applicants of award decisions via email. Award winners must accept or decline their award within one week of notification. The award letter will contain complete details on how to document conference expenses. Award payments are made only in the form of post-conference reimbursement for documented expenses with original receipts and following tax and expense form completion.