Printer friendly page
New York Activities Update
By Harold Takooshian
The SPSSI New York group (SPSSI-NY) now has its own updated webpage, thanks to Alex Ingrams and Abigail Woodruff: www.spssi.org/ny . Its fall 2009 season offered seven free gatherings for colleagues and students, hosted by local schools—Yale, Fordham, Saint Francis—some in concert with other local groups.
1. On Sept 4, over 50 people converged on the stately Presidents’ Room of Yale University, to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the 1929 International Congress of Psychology, “the greatest gathering of psychologists in history,” where two students founded Psi Chi, the now-international honor society in psychology. Yale Provost Peter Salovey and Fordham Professor Harold Takooshian co-chaired the convocation, featuring keynote speaker John D. Hogan of Saint Johns. Mayor John DeStafano proclaimed September 4 “Psychology Day” in the city of New Haven.
2. On Sept 14, 110 colleagues and students from the United Nations and local schools converged on Fordham University for the 6th annual NYC international symposium, co-sponsored by SPSSI-NY and other local groups--with 3 panels on the UN, human rights, and student involvement. A printed summary of the 10 presentations appears in the APA International Psychology Bulletin in spring 2010.
3. On October 7, Eric P. Charles of Penn State spoke on “The centenary of Freud’s 1909 visit to the USA, and 120 years of Clark University,” at Fordham University.
4. October 20, an annual Fordham workshop for students on “Psychology graduate school admissions” featured a panel of seven faculty experts.
5. On Nov 6, the 21st SPSSI-NY Greater New York Conference on Behavioral Research convened at St. Francis College in Brooklyn NY, where students and faculty presented a full day of research findings, with Conference Chair Jennifer Lancaster.
6. On November 9, an annual Fordham workshop for students on “Careers for psychology majors” featured a panel of six experts on psychology, teaching, business, social work, and BA-level employment.
7. On December 4, Fordham hosts the ninth pre-Holiday Healing Circle, a restful interfaith gathering prior to the hectic December Holidays, chaired by Ani Kalayjian.
Looking ahead to spring 2010, SPSSI-NY plans so far include participation in the 38th Hunter Psychology Convention on Saturday, April 24, and the 13th Pace Undergraduate Psychology Conference on Saturday, May 8. On March 4, Philip Zimbardo addresses a “psychology morning” breakfast at the United Nations, prior to the Eastern Psychological Association meetings March 4-7 in Brooklyn NY.
The SPSSI-NY Planning Committee for fall of 2009: Elaine P. Congress (Fordham), Uwe Gielen (St. Francis), Wismick Jean-Charles (Fordham), Samvel Jeshmaridian (BMCC), Kathleen Koltko-Rivera (Fordham), Jennifer Lancaster (Saint Francis), Rivka B. Meir (CUNY), Mark Mattson (Fordham), Henry Solomon (Marymount Manhattan), Ani Kalayjian (Fordham). Direct any questions or comments to SPSSI-NY Chairperson Harold Takooshian, email@example.com.
On September 14, at the 6th NYC international gathering hosted by the Fordham University, Professor Chris Toulouse advises students on getting involved in international work.
Previous Page Contents Page Next Page