SPSSI's 2021 Virtual Conference: August 2-5, 2021.
2021 Summer Conference Theme:
Changing the System:
Social Research and Action to Reshape the World We Live in
We are excited to announce that SPSSI’s 2021 Conference will go virtual! Join us August 2–5 as we share great presentations, networking opportunities, and some fun additions. This year’s theme is Changing the System: Social Research and Action to Reshape the World we Live in. If you choose, there will be plenty of opportunities to interact live with attendees.
This year has thrown a harsh spotlight on the systemic factors that shape our ostensibly individual behaviors and outcomes. Choices around work, leisure, childcare, travel, and relationships have been forcibly adapted to new pressures or revealed new aspects of themselves against a starkly different background. Social psychology and its related disciplines are well versed in the systems that affect us all, whether based on ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, or a number of other factors. Perhaps the silver lining of exposing the fragility of our current systems is the reminder of their malleability and of our power to reshape them. This year’s SPSSI Conference invites contributions that focus on changes to these systems, methods of implementing them, and the possible consequences of these changes. Across a variety of approaches—traditionally empirical, policy-based, critical, etc.—we welcome contributions that boldly reframe not only the solutions to contemporary social issues, but even our understanding of what those issues may be.
- 15-Minute Presentation—Presenters will record and upload their presentation into the event platform. We ask that you please limit this to 15 minutes. There will be an opportunity for attendees to interact with you live throughout the conference via chat and video.
- Interactive Discussion—Live, interactive, small group discussions. These will be scheduled for an hour during the Conference. Due to scheduling constraints, please submit no more than two interactive discussions.
- Poster Presentation—Presenters will have the opportunity to upload their poster and a 10–15-minute video or audio description. There will be an opportunity for attendees to interact with you live throughout the conference via chat and video.
- Symposium—Presenters will record and upload their presentation into the event platform. We ask that you please limit this to 50 minutes. There will be an opportunity for attendees to interact with you live throughout the conference via chat and video.
New! 2021 Conference Fee Waiver Programs
SPSSI leaders have expanded conference waiver programs in honor of the organization's 85th Anniversary this year, in an effort to give members greater access to programming. We have nearly doubled the number of recipients that will be granted waivers to attend the 2021 conference free of charge! Please share the below opportunities widely, and encourage those interested in financial relief to apply today. Exclusions: Applicants are able to submit to more than one program. However, no more than one type of waiver will be awarded to an individual.
2021 Conference Rates Information Page
Stay tuned for continued updates! We understand this is a challenging time for so many. Hardship requests and waivers will certainly be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Did you know this year is SPSSI's 85th Anniversary? Partial conference programming will be dedicated to celebrating this milestone for the organization. Discover more about SPSSI's rich history and stay tuned for more information about this exciting occasion.
We are so excited you for you to join us this summer for SPSSI’s 2021 Virtual Conference. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2021 Conference Program Chairs:
Past SPSSI Conferences:
- 2020: "Making the Invisible Visible: Transformative Research and Social Action"
- 2019: "Fighting injustice: The power of research, policy, and activism in challenging times"
- 2018: "Bridges to Justice: Building Coalitions and Collaborations Within and Beyond Psychology"
- 2017: “Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz” (Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace)
- 2016: Giving psychology away: Sharing research through teaching, interdisciplinary collaboration, and public engagement
- 2015: A Road Less Traveled: Forging Links Between Psychological Science and Social Policy
- 2014: Social Action and Change: Opportunities, Resistance, Inertia, and Mobilization
- 2012: Changing Societies: Learning From & For Research, Social Action & Policy
- 2010: From Individuals to Nation States: What Motivates, Sustains...
- 2008: Disparities Across the Globe: Place, Race, Class, Ethnicity & Gender
- 2006: Social Justice: Research, Action, and Policy
- 2004: From Desegregation to Diversity
- 2002: Understanding and Addressing Disparities: International Approaches
- 2000: Social issues for the 21st Century: Setting the Agenda
SPSSI presents special programming each year at the APA Convention as well. Find more information here.
We are also proud to join with the European Association for Social Psychology (EASP) and with the Society of Australian Social Psychologists (SASP) to co-sponsor small joint meetings on selected topics.